Why it is hard to write about something?
Sometimes it seems very easy to write an essay if you can choose the type of it by yourself. But actually, even knowing the topic, it is rather hard to follow the rules and the structure of each type of written work.
Besides, to describe something you have experienced or know could be easy only on a primitive level. To create some work, which can attract the attention of the others and get the highest mark, is really very hard.
What is the purpose of an essay?
Some essays are fulfilled in order to learn the student and evaluate his abilities to narrate, evaluate, analyze, research, give examples.
The other written works teach the writer to find relations, collect the information, compare, make conclusions, solve problems, generalize, etc.
So, simple rendering of the events or expressing your attitude will not impress your Professor.
What are the types of essays?
First of all, lets define the main and the most usual types of essays and their characteristics:
The most common type of written work is an Expository essay. It gives description and presents an idea, evaluate some actions and express the writers arguments.
These works give examples, definitions, use contrast, comparison, analysis of effect.
- Descriptive essay demands more imagination but permits more freedom in its structure. To create something original a student has to use comparisons, express his emotions, feeling, and attitudes.
- Narrative essay has a definite format, structure and includes characters, setting, plot, descriptive elements. It sounds like telling a story or making a book’s report but if it is done without any plan, it can be not clear or understandable.
- Problem-Solution essay is like an answer to some question on oral level. But when done in a form of an essay, the person has to understand the subject, introduce sources to explain it, and offer the ways to solve the problem. It would be great if you have some options and are capable to explain your way of thinking.
- Persuasive (or Argumentative) essay is close to an Expository one. But while exploring a topic, the writer chooses a stand for or against the described subject or event. Such essay should include one’s opinion in relation to the topic itself. A Persuasive essay consists of five (or more) paragraph format. It includes: introduction, main body (thesis statement), and conclusion.
Besides, there are other kinds of essays: Process essay, Personal essay, Observation Essay, Analytical essay, Exploratory essay, Summary essay, College Application or Admission essay, Response essay, Critical essay, Case Study essay, Application essay, etc.
How to choose a type of an essay?
It is very important for a student to define how to choose a type of essay and in which one he can express his strong points. To begin with, it is necessary:
- to read about all types of essays and their structure;
- evaluate your abilities to argument, narrate, compare, imagine, how attentive you are to details;
- the topic given for a composition is not less important. Some tasks are really fit only a definite kind of writing work.
Evaluate your strength
Thus, if you are good at formulating your thoughts and have a vivid imagination, observation and can develop the plot, you better choose a narrative, expository or descriptive type.
At the same time if all above mentioned are your weak points, but you can be patient at collecting facts and views, choose persuasive or a problem solution essays.
Some students can easily persuade others orally, but, unfortunately, they are not so bright while writing.
For instance, if you are given chance to use any style and have a task to write about your holidays, your topic can sound like this:
- “My best holiday” for a descriptive essay,
- “Why we went to…in summer” for an argumentative one,
- “How I learned to dive in summer” for a narrative story,
- “Why it’s better to learn more in summer” for a persuasive essay, etc.
How to get good writing skills?
The best way to learn how to write different types of essays is to read some good model examples of other essay writers. Luckily, the special Internet sites allow to do it without effort.
Don’t forget to write a plan before starting to write. Even if your task do not demand it, the writing with a plan and a structure is much easier and faster.
Most types of essays require an introduction and conclusion. In some cases to start your work with conclusion is not a bad idea.
Here you will formulate your point of view and then try to stick to it in the main body of your essay.
An introduction can start with some presentation of the described topic or with a question, which intrigues and absorbs the reader.
Any type of written work need the authors personal evaluation or attitudes.
Creation of a great essay needs frankness and practice
So, if you are asking yourself, “Can I write my essay and achieve definite purposes?”, you need to :
- stick to the asked question while writing;
- comply with the requirements of your type of essay;
- state your thoughts clear and precisely;
- sound naturally, but find good arguments;
- be frank and present while describing the topic;
- don’t be lazy to reread your composition several times to check mistakes.
Consequently, after some practice and observing the rules of an essay writing, you will learn to do it perfectly and get satisfaction, expressing your thoughts, views and opinions.
This skill can become very useful in your study and life.